Disneyland is such a magical place. Planning a trip there can be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don’t miss out on all the fun things going on while you will be there for your trip. Here is a list of everything you need to know that is different with Disneyland and California Adventure this year.
Things Happening All Year Long:
Paradise Pier is Closed
Reopening Summer 2018 as the new Pixar Pier featuring four distinct Pixar neighborhoods: Incredibles, Toy Story, Inside Out, and one land for everything else. This will include the reimagined “IncrediCoaster”. Toy Story Mania will be open during construction so you can still visit this super fun 4D interactive game.
Disneyland Park Closures-
-Haunted Mansion- Now until January 19 for removal of holiday overlay.
-Splash Mountain- Reopening date TBA
-Dumbo the Flying Elephant- Reopening date TBA
-It’s a Small World- January 22- February 2 for removal of holiday overlay
Disney California Adventure Closures-
-Grizzly River Run- Now through February 2
-Ariel’s Grotto- Permanently closed. (Bummer.)
-Cove Bar- Now until Pixar Pier opens.
-Redwood Creek Challenge- Reopening date TBA.
Things Happening by Month:
January and February
- Disney After Dark: Celebration of Vintage Disneyland-January 18th Disneyland After Dark kicks off January 18 with its first after-hours event – Throwback Nite! Step back in time to the ‘50s and ‘60s for a taste of the classic after-dark experience at Disneyland. Come dressed in your best to enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth under a million twinkling lights, swinging to the tune of the bands and enjoying your favorite rides in the cool moonlight ‘till the clock strikes 1 a.m.! More Disney After Dark: Celebration of Vintage parties will be announced soon. Watch our blog for updates!
- Lunar New Year Celebration: January 26-February 18thin Disney California Adventure. This multicultural celebration will feature musicians, night-time water show on Paradise Bay, and specialty Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese food. Activities include a lucky wishing wall and Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession parade. If you are a fan of Mulan this is your chance! She is not at the park very often and Mushu will be there with her.
March and April
- Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival-March 2-April 12This amazing event returns to California Adventure bringing delicious cuisine, specialty beverages and exciting entertainment to Disneyland Resort guests for its third season. This festival is TWICE the size as it has been in previous years. My favorite things about the Food and Wine Festival are the 13 market place kiosks. Each kiosk has unique food with California grown ingredients. There are family friendly seminars that I love. Guest presenters appear for 30 minutes on select days to teach you how to make their unique culinary creations. Check the Disney schedule when you arrive at the park to see who is presenting that day in California Adventure. The last thing that I love about the Food and Wine Festival is the Sweet Sunday. Celebrity pastry chefs come to show us how to make mouth-watering desserts.
- Pixar Fest begins April 13th through Summer-Thisfestival will be celebrating the new opening of Pixar Pier. They will have fun activities to help get you excited about all the new changes. Come for a sneak peek of the new changes on Pixar Pier. Some of the activities will be Together Forever-A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular, an amazing fireworks display select evenings. Disney is also bringing back two of the fan favorite parades: Pixar Play Parade moves to Disneyland while the Paint the Night Parade moves to California Adventure. There is also a Pixar Short Film Festival in the Sunset Showcase theater in Hollywood Land of California Adventure.
- The All New Pixar Pier Opens- Beginning summer of 2018, the brand new Pixar Pier will be opening with four reimagined neighborhoods inspired by the beloved Pixar films. The neighborhoods will be located along the southern shore of Paradise Bay with newly themed attractions and old favorites. Pixar Pier will open during the limited-time Pixar Fest celebration. Watch for updates on Pixar Pier as they become available.
September and October
- Halloweentime at The Disneyland Resort-Halloween is quickly becoming one of the most popular times to visit The Disneyland Resort. Returning mid September through October, the Disneyland Resort transforms into a Halloween oasis. Spooky Halloween decor at every turn including Disney California Adventure! “Guardians of the Galaxy- Monsters After Dark”, “Radiator Screams”, and “Luigi’s Honkin Halloween” are all waiting for you in Disney’s California Adventure. “Haunted Mansion Holiday”, “Space Mountain Galaxy”, and the Main Street Pumpkin Festival will delight your senses in the Disneyland Park. Of course don’t miss out on Disney’s private exclusive event: Mickey’s Halloween Party which is held each evening for an additional cost. As the rest of the Disney crowd goes home, your ghouls and goblins can truck or treat all over Disneyland and enjoy a much smaller crowd experience.
November and December
- Holidays at The Disneyland Resort- Celebrate the holidays at the Disneyland Resort. Start in Disney California Adventure at the Festival of Holidays. As you stroll through Disney California Adventure stop by one of the kiosks to taste holiday favorites. Make sure to watch the “Christmas Fantasy Parade” and then stay late at Disneyland park for the “Believe in Holiday Magic” fireworks! You can’t miss out on the snow on Main Street!
Check out why making this trip a present is a great idea! Giving Trips as Presents
Need help booking your Disney trip? Contact Us Now.
Sara puts the A in AWESOME deal-finding. She is a world traveler with Disney on the brain. Her 4 kids and fun-loving hubby keep her happy and healthy. In her spare time she browses the internet for crazy deals and location information, just look at our Pinterest account! She also enjoys hiking, snowshoeing, reading, all things Disney, exercising and ghost town exploring.